Thursday, June 17, 2010

Celebrity

One thing I LOVE about Korea is that everyone wants to take a picture of me or talk to me. Well not just me but any cute foreigner (and yes... I know I am cute). Everywhere we go crowds seem to gather. We were in Insadong a few weeks ago for the Lotus Latern Festival and Parade (for Buddhas birthday) and we made these lotus hats. We wore them and were standing together. We were approached by a Korean asking to take a photo. We said sure and stood in line... before we knew it everyone around us was taking picture after picture!!!  The whole day everywhere we walked everyone was taking pictures of us and pointing and smiling. It really does make you feel special when everyone pays close attention to you. During the parade instead of is watching it, they were watching us. Everyone walking by us would say oh so beautiful or giggle at our hats or give us thumbs up or give us a high five. I really felt more important than the parade lol!

In Namhae (a beach on the South end of the country) we played volleyball with a group pf male Koreans because they saw we were going to play and wanted to join us. It was soooo much fun! A bunch of them joined us later on the beach and we drank wine and interviewed each other (except they called it something else and I don't remember what that was) We basically just would stand up and tell a little bit about ourselves. Then they sang Happy Birthday to Jenelle in Korean. Afterwards we set off fireworks. I don't think I mentioned this before but you can buy fireworks at pretty much every store anytime of the year. They are everywhere!!! Later in the night I went skinny dipping in the ocean! It felt amazing!!! We went back to our hanbok style room (mats and blankets on the floor) and tried to play cards but we were all tired and fell asleep.

One night I was taking pictures with Flat Thomas (a school project for a kid from my church in Canada) and a Korean man asked if he could get a picture of Veena and I... totally out of the blue and he was super drunk.

I am a little worried about when I go home... being here might be making me a bit conceited... I might be offended if people in Canada don't constantly complement my looks and tell me how beautiful I am and ask to take a picture of me. I did not feel too much culture shock when I came here. Over time I have just accepted everything as normal and never felt this outright difference. It will be weird to go back home and not drink in the street and not be able to buy soju at any corner store for 1 dollar. I am going to miss the constant attention!

No comments:

Post a Comment